Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Big Project

I hope every family has that ongoing running list of projects that need to get done. We certainly have one and it seems to always be growing! One project has been on our list for over a year now and we finally took action! It was a very wet and rainy day so instead of stringing the Christmas lights on the house outside we committed ourselves to working on our food storage. We are counseled in our church to have a year supply of long term food items (rice, beans, wheat, pasta etc.) to use in cases of emergencies. I personally know of families that have lived off of their food supply when they have encountered difficult times such as a job loss or natural disaster. We have been collecting the food and supplies for a long time now and the time came to store it! Our project consisted of lining 25 buckets, and placing about 25 lbs of food in each bucket.


We then top the food with a piece of wax paper and 1/3 cup of dry ice. This will kill anything trying to grow or live in your food and it will last up to thirty years.


We then sealed and labeled it and for the next several hours had to release the air in the buckets so that they would not explode from the dry ice.

The end result of a long day.....25 buckets filled with 25 lbs of food each!

My sweet husband then loaded them all into the house and found places for them in our closets. So some may think we are crazy but when there is a bean shortage you can come and knock on our door!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Wow...I thought I was doing good. That is so much food!!! And I've never heard of the dry ice...tell me more.