Monday, April 27, 2009

Closet Couponer

Ever since I was a little girl I have always been very frugal. Not really sure why. I was the kid who had Halloween candy still in her basket the next Halloween. I was always saving money although I was not sure what I was saving it for, it was just an innate thing I guess. For the past year I have become an avid couponer. I had given coupons an attempt before but was very unsuccessful. Now, with an organizational system and the wonderful Internet I have become pretty efficient. I always kept this to myself. Zac would get really excited and want to tell everyone but I just felt silly about it all. I thought no one else was really interested and would think I was wasting my time. Well, word got out somehow and it has been spreading like wild fire in our ward at church. I have had several people over to my home for tutorials and even taught an enrichment on how to save. I also get phone calls at least once a day about how to do a certain deal. As promised, I have posted some pics of my stockpile (with the shelves my husband put up for me!)



These pictures really do it no justice as I also have containers all under my sinks full of products. You cant' tell what everything is on the shelves and not seen is a lot of other things (like 15 tubes of toothpaste and 15 gilette fusion razors) I get all my hygiene products (shampoo, gel, deodorant, toothpaste, mouth wash, mousse, etc for FREE so I don't mind stocking up!) If there is ever a natural disaster we will be the cleanest folks around!

I have had an exceptionally good past week of shopping. Between CVS and Publix I spent about $16 on the items below (over 45 things! A lot of them are blocked off by other things, I'm not the best photographer!) and saved over $190, plus I have over $30 extra care bucks to use at CVS and a $10 mail in rebate for 2 of the items there.

I realize it is not all the healthiest of items and I assure you I did purchase fresh produce I just didn't include it in my savings. Anyways, my food and hygiene storage is rapidly growing and I feel pretty good about it all! I do feel bad thought that our playgroup discussions have all turned to what the good deals of the week are. Hopefully once all the buzz (yes I know it seems silly but there really is a buzz going all around!) settles down we can get back into the social world. It has helped me feel a little less silly about it all though.

13 comments:

Ryan and Brindi said...

how do you do it?? i think u should do a blog on it to teach the rest of us!

Nathaly said...

I, for one, am sooooooo glad you came out of the closet. It's not silly at all! It's just plain amazing. Thanks for sharing that Teddy Grahams deal this week. I went and got my 4 boxes. Love it! I sit here and check the sites and then think about calling you to ask things like, "How can I make that purchase of Charmin this week even cheaper?" hahaha. Glad to know I'm not the only one with lots of questions!

Shantel said...

You rock! So when can I come down for a workshop? I must admit I tried getting into it but it seemed too complicated and time consuming. I guess I need lessons from the best! Way to go you frugal girl you!

Maren said...

Wow! Do you know what a talent that is? Absolutely amazing! I would love for you to share more, but I understand if you feel like it's your little baby that you want to keep to yourself!

Ryan and Brindi said...

brindikins@hotmail.com thanks! :)

Erika said...

I've been following money saving/coupon blogs the last few months. I can see how it can be addicting but so fun to get a good deal. I got a rebate check back from Walgreens for $20 and that was pretty sweet! Would you ever be interested in being a "guest" on my blog and teaching some of your tips?

LINDSAY said...

i would love to hear more . . . how do you do it?

LINDSAY said...

princezlin@aol.com thanks SO much!

Maren said...

marencupit at yahoo dot com

I also want to ask you about your ward and stuff. Are you guys in Melbourne? We're contemplating a Florida move. Anyway, I will e-mail you after you e-mail me!

Alicia said...

I think it's great you do this. I have not had the patience or resolve enough to do it. It probably isn't as hard or as time consuming as I think it is, so maybe I can start sometime in the near future. Do you have to go to many different stores?

Hang Turner said...

i like this blog a lot! we need to come visit you guys so i can get a face to face tutorial from you!!

Sarah said...

Thats awesome Ness. I actually got into couponing myself just a few months ago and its AWESOME! I love all the savings. I use a program called savvyshopperdeals.com (but its based out of Utah). Do you use a specific program? or do all the work yourself? I've also heard couponmom.com is good.

Astorga Crew said...

Cool! I am too! I am glad to know that I have a fellow couponer! Although I am not as big into Walgreens/CVS as I am into Publix. I can't always hit the drugstores every week.