Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday Tell All-Books

Topic for Tuesday 21st April - Librarian Girl

This week is National Library Week, so the topic is:

Tell us about the last book that you read, or what your favorite one is.

The last book I finished is "The Year of Living Biblically" by A.J. Jacobs. At first I was skeptical that this could be a very boring read or kind of blasphemous. It turned out to be neither! Jacobs has a wonderful sense of humor and took some very quirky rules of the Bible and lived them to the T. His attempts at stoning the sinful and carrying his own seat around so that he did not sit upon anything that a women who has menstruated sat on had me laughing out loud. It was frustrating that as an agnostic the only thing he took away from this experience was a need to be more grateful. This is an amazingly important concept but he seemed to find little else that religion could bring to his life. It did help me realize that I need to be more aware of my actions, thoughts, and deeds as I am sure I regularly unintentionally break many covenants. It also helped me recognize how blessed I am to be a member of my faith and have a living Prophet today to guide and direct me. Our President Thomas S. Monson receive direct revelation help guide us in this crazy world. By revelation he is able to eliminate or reorganize some of those biblical "rules" to our day and time. I am forever grateful for this guidance and know that by following it I have obtained more happiness and joy than I ever could otherwise.

Currently I am reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. It is an easy and inspiring read from a man with pancreatic cancer and knowledge of his soon eminent death that is a few months approaching. I find it struggling to read it as he is a father of very young children and it would break my heart to know that I would not be around to see and be a part of my children's life. Pausch knows though that he must live these last few days to the fullest and leave a legacy for his children to reflect upon. It makes me want to record more meaningful and insightful things in my journal/blog so maybe deeper posts are to come!

No comments: