Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011...bring it on!

2010 was a great year for us.The highlight being the birth of our little girl.That is a big change for our family. We are sort of looking forward to a normal year with no big events happening (as of yet right!) Here's to a new year and new goals!

1. Sundays will be different days. No more planning my shopping list for Monday, no laundry and no late evening TV watching. I want to dedicate this day to other things that will uplift me and help me draw closer to Christ. Of course this will require me to better prepare the rest of the week.

2. I want to try to compare myself to others less. A few weeks ago Zac and Noah went to church while I stayed home with sick Ellie. He told me about how he was sitting there listening to the young women sing a song about Christ and Mary. His thoughts turned to wondering who he would have guard and protect his most valuable thing. You would think it would be someone with great power and authority. Heavenly Father chose a mother...Mary. He continued to tell me how amazing moms are and what a sacred role we play. With tears in his eyes he expressed appreciation for me and the time I spend rearing our kids. He told me Christ needed Mary and our kids need me. He said they don't need (list of names of all the other amazing moms I am around and compare myself to)but that Noah and Ellie need ME. I felt so fortunate to have such an insightful husband. I may raise my kids differently, they may be slightly unruly, I may not fill every second of their day stimulating their minds with new information but I am their mom and I love them dearly.

3. I want to complete my Personal Progress this year as a leader.

4.I want to verbally express my gratitude more. This is a personal progress experience that I had to do for a few weeks and I liked it. It felt good to be always looking for the things to be grateful for.

5. I want to speak more positively. Sometimes I tell crazy stories about my kids. The I am offended when others make comments about their behavior (similar to how you can talk about your own mama but if someone else does watch out!) Anyways, I can't expect others to respect them if I am speaking negatively. Even in every day situations I want to be more positive. If we attended an event or activity and someone asks about it I want to highlight the good and leave it at that.

Those are my main focuses. It's tricky because they don't really include habits to develop but internal changes which are very challenging to do. I am excited to do it though and hope to see and feel changes in my life!

2 comments:

Destiny Trevino said...

Well you are not the only woman in the world who wants to make these exact internal changes! I have the same self-destructing attitude sometimes when I compare my life with others. I compare myself as a mother, a friend, a wife, a daughter, etc. but at the end of the day I am me and I am loved by my family and friends for being ME.

You are one great mother because we all have wild and crazy kids yet you are so patient and gentle. Something I am aspiring to be more like. I tend to jump to yelling really fast at home instead of talking and resolving. Jace shuts down when I yell and I know its not working and hurts him yet its something I know I need to work on.

Just thought I would share that you aren't alone. New year, new goals and what a great year to start! :) Good luck and God Bless!

Sorry for the book, just loved the moving post.

Leslie said...

I'm with you on #2. Recently had the same epiphanies. And I guess after three years of motherhood I'm discovering the kind of mother I want to be. And it's not like her, or her, or her.

Amy Johnston said to me recently, "Do it YOUR way".
Exactly.