Friday, April 4, 2008
Gall Bladder Woes
Just a few weeks after Noah's birth I started having really bad back pains on my right side in the middle of the night. Throughout the day the pain would intensify and begin to push through to my stomach. I would eventually become unable to even function and nothing relieved the pain. I would get nauseated and sometimes throw up (pleasant, I know). The whole scenario would last about 24 hours and then it would be completely gone. This was happening about once a month and finally after our return to the US and 2 similar attacks in one week I went in to the doctor during one of these attacks. I thought it was so bizarre and hard to explain that they would just shrug it off. Ha, little did I know how common gall stones are! I described everything and the doctor said it was gall stones and had me go straight to do ultra sounds and blood work. Evidently my gall bladder is "chalk full of stones" (as my doctor so eloquently put it). I have learned that actually a majority of people have these stones yet only a small percentage of the lucky few of us feel the symptoms. They believe my rapid weight gain and loss from pregnancy triggered these fun episodes. So it is off to surgery for me next Friday to have my gall bladder removed. It is all laparoscopically done so hopefully is not too intrusive. I will be in and out of the hospital in the same day which is nice. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, especially for my little Noah. I worry about him as he is still nursing and currently VERY ATTACHED to me. We will have to work through all this but hopefully it will all be worth it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
Oh Ness. I'm so sorry. Adam gets kidney stones and I've seen the pain any sort of stone can be. We hope everything goes well with your surgery and that you and Noah will be alright. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. LOVE you guys!
Good luck, Vanessa! I know you will be happy with the results. If we can do anything at all, let us know. We can babysit, bring you meals, or whatever while you recuperate. Hopefully I'll see you before then.
Good luck Vanessa. I've had gall stone attacks before-so I know exactly how terrible it can be.
Good luck girl, that sounds aweful. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Vanessa -- good luck with the surgery. my mom went through it while we were in high school, and it was a pretty easy surgery -- she said a little easier than labor!
Post a Comment