What do you do the day before surgery? Make pickles of course! I have a childhood memory of jars of pickles lining the pantry shelves in our kitchen. Now, I don't recall ever actually eating the pickles being very young and more particular about my foods. I have discussed making pickles with my mom and we finally took a day to make the effort (I didn't realize it would be an all day affair. First, you have to find the nonwaxed cucumbers. Then you slice those along with onions and peppers and soak them in ice and salt for three hours. Next you bring them all to an almost boil with all the yummy spices and vinegar. Finally they are placed in hot jars and sealed for the future! It was a fun project but I don't know how the pioneers did such things with kids running around everywhere. Noah could hardly stand the fact that my attention was on a vegetable and not him! Between, pickles, freezer jam, and homemade bread I am feeling quite domestic! So, if you have a hankering for pickles stop by for a taste!
Sunday, April 27, 2008
PICKLES!!!
What do you do the day before surgery? Make pickles of course! I have a childhood memory of jars of pickles lining the pantry shelves in our kitchen. Now, I don't recall ever actually eating the pickles being very young and more particular about my foods. I have discussed making pickles with my mom and we finally took a day to make the effort (I didn't realize it would be an all day affair. First, you have to find the nonwaxed cucumbers. Then you slice those along with onions and peppers and soak them in ice and salt for three hours. Next you bring them all to an almost boil with all the yummy spices and vinegar. Finally they are placed in hot jars and sealed for the future! It was a fun project but I don't know how the pioneers did such things with kids running around everywhere. Noah could hardly stand the fact that my attention was on a vegetable and not him! Between, pickles, freezer jam, and homemade bread I am feeling quite domestic! So, if you have a hankering for pickles stop by for a taste!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
I'm so impressed!
I hope a new blog post means you are feeling better.
I'll have to try some when I'm in town.
A couple years ago my mom and I canned Peaches (I'm sorry, but there's nothing better than Utah Peaches). But it was an all day thing, and yes it's hard with kids, but so so worth it. We had great peaches that lasted us throughout the whole next year.
Post a Comment