Thursday, January 28, 2010

2010

Grateful-Adjective

1. Warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful: I am grateful to you for your help.

2. Expressing or actuated by gratitude: a grateful letter.

3. pleasing to the mind or senses; agreeable or welcome; refreshing: a grateful breeze.

A friend of mine took a word from the dictionary and then fashioned her new years resolutions around that word (Thanks for the idea Leslie!) My resolution list usually consists of the same things.....better scripture study, meaningful prayers, healthy eating-ish, and on and on. Someone pointed out that these will forever be our goals so to make them yearly is pointless because we will/should never stop trying to achieve those same things forever. So instead look at my year froward and find what I can do for that year to make it better. I realize that with a new baby coming I will be overwhelmed, exhausted and probably in a pretty grouchy state sometimes (newsflash.....I am not an infant mom! I adjust at about the 1 year mark...here's to 2010 going quickly!) To help me not slip far into that realm I have chosen to focus my resolutions around being grateful. To help me recognize all that I am blessed with I will do several things.


1. Every blog post will start with my grateful thought for the day.


2. Implementing the 3 Rs...reduce, reuse, recycle. I find I love to get things organized and sometimes move things around a lot and buy lots of containers and gadgets to make it happen. I will now find inventive ways to reuse common day things and be grateful for the things I own.


3. I will accomplish one looming household task each day so that my appreciation for my home and family will be recognized. I always feel better when I can cross something off a list.


4. I will attempt to verbally express my gratefulness to others more frequently especially those who are closest to me (love you babe) and are often neglected for all they do.



Hopefully these goals will help me to appreciate this season of life that at times feels really overwhelming, mundane and stressful.

2 comments:

*julie* said...

What a fantastic idea! I'm behind on blogs and didn't realize Leslie did that. I think I may have to follow suit - resolutions are grand intentions I never quite seem to get a handle on. Thanks for sharing!!

Leslie said...

awesome thoughts, Vanessa. I think you picked a good one.

I started writing my good reports every Sunday because motherhood seemed to bring out the grouchies in me. And it has really helped me see and recognize good things in our life and not be overwhelmed by the crappy things