Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Name Game

Zac and I are the most indecisive people EVER! Whether it is where to eat for dinner or naming our child we have issues! For this reason we are seeking you (our 3 loyal readers) insight into helping us choose a name for baby girl. We are not ones to keep the name to ourselves until born (you know who you people are!) simply because we need help making decisions. You can determine the future of our child! Such pressure ...(OK, so we still may not use the name that receives majority votes but you can still feel pretty special.) Here are the front runners with pros and cons....


Addison Paige


Pros: Addi is cute and fits a little baby/toddler. Addison works well as an adult.


Cons: Not as easy to see as an adult name. Kind of trendy (#12 name in 2008.) Means son of Adam...longest relationship I had was with a guy named Adam, and it is also Zac's brother's name...kinda awkward since it is definitely neither one of their baby!


Eliza McKay


Pros: traditional/classic (not popular at all like #600 in 2008). I can call her Ellie (Which I love and would just name her that if Zac didn't refuse to name a baby a nickname). Easy to see her with that name as an adult.


Cons: Easy to see as an adult name......really adult like grandma-ish. Harder to picture a baby with that name. Ends in same sound as Noah so when said together sounds like we are stuck in a rut, I find this to be a trend with all the names I like...Tessa, Ava, Emma, Jenna, Eliana (which by the way is my personal fave and would be her name if again Zac didn't have issues!)


Any thoughts are welcomed except for the one that goes "when you see her you'll know." We tried that with Noah and sure enough...he looked like a baby, no name help. So we would like to have it decided and confirmed before this time.

7 comments:

Kirsten Treff said...

I tend towards Eliza McKay, after all, Annabelle's middle name is Eliza. It would have possibly been her first name, if she didn't already have TWO cousins named Elizabeth. I know a couple people our age named Eliza, so it works as an adult, not just grandma, name. I'm also not into trendy, and I know about 5 Addisons under the age of 5.
Good luck!! We didn't decide on A's name until they made us fill out the birth certificate forms, so I feel ya!

Nathaly Blalock said...

Eliza! Love it. I think it works for adults and children. It's a classic name. And not trendy like Addison. Even though Addison is really cute, too. Of your other choices I love Emma. That was my great-grandma's name and I would use it if it didn't sound so American, lol. I need something with a little hispanic in it! And you know I love Eliana, since that's what I'm naming my baby! :)

Moghimi Family said...

I'm not gonna be much help. Our daughter's name is Addyson, but we call her Addy. (Named after the American Girl series.) We LOVE it, but don't like that it has become to trendy. I blame it on Grey's Anatomy. Darn those Hollywood people!!! (It's been in my personal 'book of names I like' for like 20 years!)

I love Eliza! That is what I call my little sister, Elisabeth. Really cute!!!! I've thought about using that one too. But who knows if we will even have a girl in the future.

I'm all about classic names...old lady or not. I like Amelia, and call her Millie. But that is pretty popular too. One of my friends is having a little girl and nameing her Libby. I think that us cute too!

Good luck!

Kimberly said...

Eliza! I love it. Classic and strong, and very pretty, too.

My friend's son is named Addison, so I kind of have trouble seeing it on a baby girl. But, it is still a cute name, and we will love your baby whatever you name her.

sethbrod423 said...

I like both and I'd come up with my own nickname for both so it doesn't matter to me ... sorry that doesn't help at all but I love ya!!!

Jen said...

I like both names as well. I have tried talking TJ into Addison, but he won't give in. So if I can't use it, someone should!!

Amanda said...

Well, I do like Eliza McKay, although the only McKays I know are boys.

But, as you may guess we love the name Addi. Most people around us wanted us to name her Addison, but traditionally, it is a boy name, and there's a boy on our street with the name Addison. But we loved Addi, which is why we named her Addilyn. It's funny now, because we hardly ever call her Addilyn, and I found an Addie Mae on my line, so there's a part of my that thinks we should have just named her Addie. But, I think Addilyn will suit better for an adult. We've gone through the same thing with Sammy. He refuses to be called Samuel (at least for now).

Honestly, I really like Eliza and I like Addison. I just have a hard time with bi-gender names.

You couldn't go wrong with Addilyn, but if our Addi marries Noah, that might be awkward.

I don't know if that helped at all. But it's my two cents worth.

We were undecided when Kimball was born, and thought we'd know when we saw him. Nope! Just a lumpy baby.

Sammy we knew before we found out we were having a boy.

Addi took me a good year or so to feel comfortable with. I'm still not sure about Addilyn. I love Addi, but what's done is done.

Love you guys! We miss you. Clark's going to England this next week. I wish I were going with him. I told him he has to bring me back a lot of chocolate.