Tuesday, February 24, 2009
SCARY weekend
This weekend was one of those that you would love to forget. It was Zac's weekend to go up to Gainesville for his MBA. Usually it falls on the Saturday after his Friday off so I have one day to have his help around here. This time he had a full week of work and then was off so it made the weekend seem super long. We were doing ok until Saturday night. I was babysitting my niece and nephew and of course the toilet overflowed. I have never had to deal with that all by myself but luckily knew enough to plunge like crazy. We then went to the park and had a fine time. Later that night after the kids were gone and Noah was in bed I sat on the couch to relax a bit. I then smelled this faint burning. I jumped up and ran to all the logical places, dryer, kitchen, check Noah's room and nothing. Started to think I was paranoid and then decided to go in our room. From the doorway I see this huge glow coming from underneath my pillow. Every morning we have a routine that I reach over and put my bedside lamp under my pillow, Noah comes in and we all hang out together while Zac gets ready for work. We started this after realizing how fascinating a light bulb is to a one year old, and he broke one. I guess at some point over the course of the night I had accidentally hit the switch on the wall that connects to that outlet and the lamp came on without my realizing it. It have to have been close to bursting into flames when I found it. It did some pretty good damage to our mattress and pillow but the worst was the smell. I immediately hit the switch off, ran the fan and opened the windows. More then anything it just scared me to death. I could have burnt our home down with Noah sleeping! I was on edge the rest of the night and slept in the office due to the smell. Because of it I got paranoid about everything and kept thinking someone was in the house or I smelled fire again. So not a good feeling. I slept very little that night. Luckily we are all safe and Zac and I had a fun FHE activity cleaning to get the smell out! We are blessed to have been protected but hope to never have that scare again! Here are some pics of the damage.



Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






5 comments:
Oh how scary! I am so glad that it wasnt worse when you found out what was going on! You are very blessed!
Glad you are okay!
That is crazy scary! One of my biggest fears is of a fire starting in our house and not being able to get my babies out. I am glad that you caught it early enough.
Well, on the upside; when you do something, you do it RIGHT. That is some good damage to your bed! I am glad that (ultimately) everything turned out ok. And I hope next weekend is better for you. Whew!
Ness! Oh my gosh! So scary...I'm so glad you're ok and that you found it before it got any worse. Just makes me want to be that much more careful!
Post a Comment