Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Tell All- Natural Disasters

Have you ever experienced one? Are you prepared to experience one? If you had to be in a natural disaster is there one you would prefer over another?


It seems like no matter where you live you are in danger of some type of natural disaster. I can definitely say that I am grateful to not be in an earthquake area. Nothing would freak me out more than to have me and my house moving without any warning. I would be in constant fear of things falling on me or my family! I do however live in an area that for five months of the year we are in danger of a hurricane. The benefit to a hurricane however is that often you get ample warning to prepare. We bought a home that was already equipped with a built in generator and hurricane shutters. We haven't had to test them out so hopefully they will do the job if needed. We did just spend three days trapped in our home from Tropical Storm Faye. It just rained and rained and rained! When we went out finally the lakes had all submerged the roads and there were fish laying around in the streets! Luckily we only suffered from cabin fever and had no damage. The one time I am grateful we don't have a pool! When I was younger I lived in North central Florida which was the safest area to be hurricane wise. In all my 20 years there I only had a few experiences. One was while I was in high school. I was in my yearbook class (which my mom happened to teach) and a tornado landed nearby. All I remember is the sky turning these brilliant magenta and purple colors. We all had to huddle in this storage closet with no windows for just a short time. Another time, I was in college and they thought a hurricane would hit so they cancelled school. All the shelves in the grocery stores were wiped clean! Turns out it didn't even rain. Was kind of freaky though to see how quick everything can be gone. Great motivator for food storage! My family's game plan is to hit the road and travel more north central with reservations at a fancy hotel (they offer special hurricane rates). We will make a vacation of it! I truly hope we don't have to experience that any time soon.

3 comments:

Kirsten Treff said...

I don't think I've experienced any natural disasters.... I grew up in Upstate NY (Syracuse, since you lived in Rochester, you actually know where it is!), and the only thing close to a disaster in those parts is snow. It makes for long winters, but is certainly not as devastating as other threats.

Heather said...

Nick and I recently experienced a long term power outage. It was due to the winds of Hurricane Ike. Why anyone would want to live in a hurricane zone is beyond me. I've seen enough of their effects living in KY. It was very eye opening - I definitely need to re-organize my emergency kits. I hope your family never experiences a major disaster.

mid said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/14-manfaat-minum-air-putih-2-liter-sehari/