Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Tell All-Sept 11

It has been seven years since the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and the Pennsylvania field. Where you when you heard the news? How did you react? What are your feelings now seven years later?




I remember this day very clearly. I was in my apartment at BYU up in my bedroom. One of my roommates came bursting through the door saying the towers had been hit by planes. I jumped out of bed and went downstairs to see the news. It was terrible to witness the destruction and my thoughts immediately went to the many families that sent their loved ones off simply for a day of work. I can't even imagine the devastation I would feel if I lost my family at such a heartless incident. I called my parents and we talked about it and expressed our gratitude and love for one another. I was supposed to go watch a movie with my then friend (now husband) but it all seemed so trivial in light of the events. It's crazy to think that seven years have passed. It's disheartening that it often takes tragic events to unite people. I hope that I can live each day with gratitude. Gratitude for my family, to live in a free country, and to practice my religion.

1 comment:

The Cersey Family said...

I remember that day so well. I was on my way to school when my friend (Carey)called me from Georgia to tell me the news. I was so shocked, I thought she must be joking. When I got to my class at school the teacher had turned on the news in the classroom and we just watched for the rest of class. Later that day my best friend (Justin) told me that he never wanted to see me again for reasons I am sure you can guess Vanessa. We didn't speak or see each other for nearly 6 months. Luckily we worked things out and he is now my husband, but to me Sep. 11, 2001 will always be remembered as the worst day of my life for both national and personal reasons.