Thursday, May 21, 2009

Edible Play Dough


I can't stand play dough because of all the mess it causes....that being said, it has been raining for 4 days straight here and Noah and I needed some indoor fun. Knowing that Noah would attempt to eat the play dough much as he does crayons, I decided to make our own play dough with flour, water, oil, cream of tartar and kool aid mix. It tuned out fabulous and what could have been a horrific experience (play dough in mouth, carpet etc) turned out to be super fun. The dough was the perfect texture and smelled like the kool aid so of course Noah sniffed it a lot.

He even attempted to taste it but fortunately it does not taste as good as it smells!

Rules were at the table only and that seemed to go well. We started out making snakes and he was all about "eyes" on them. Then I made a few other things and he caught on to the pretendness of it all. He then grabbed a clump and said "shoe" and walked it around the table. Next was "boat" with the same big clump of clay. It was pretty cute. Then I pulled out the cookie cutters and he was partial to the heart shape and insistant that he do it every time.


This activity occupied him for 30 minutes and would have gone longer if it wasn't nap time. Any activity that can occupy Noah for that amount of time gets an A+ from me! Play dough....not so bad after all.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Awesome! Can you send me the recipe?

Shantel said...

Glad it was such a success. I love the texture of homemade play dough...too fun!