Do you like or dislike Mothers Day, and why?
This is our topic for this Tuesday and it is so dear to my heart. As a kid I always gave my mom a gift and card and told her I was grateful for her but I never really ever understood what being a mom entails. I guess it's one of those things that one can never understand until they experience it. For many years I dreaded mothers day and awkwardly standing at church to receive a carnation (given to all those 18 and up.) It was actually just a very painful reminder of the greatest desire of my heart being left unfulfilled. For this reason I honestly can say I LOVE mothers day because I feel so blessed every single day for Noah and the opportunity I have to be with him for eternity. I love to celebrate the miracle that he is and treasure the joy that he has brought to me. There are so many things about motherhood that I didn't expect. I didn't know that I would feel guilty for not having a running dialogue every second of the day to help him develop language. I didn't know that he would throw his food on the floor for over a year and I would simply continue to clean it up! I had no clue that some babies just don't sleep as much as others. I didn't know that I would love him SO much for simply being around but most importantly I never could understand how much our Heavenly Father loves us before having Noah. Being a parent is one of the fastest ways to come closer to God. Never in my life have I had such a vested interest in every aspect of our lives. I know that we have been entrusted with this sweet spirit to raise and teach and love. That is a lot of pressure which can make Mother's day difficult. It is hard to hear talks in church about mothers and do what every woman does and compare. Some may feel that mother's day is a reminder of all the things they should be doing better and feel guilty for the things they think they are not doing. This mother's day I want to welcome that feeling and positively turn it into a reflection on things I can do better on and the things that I feel I do well. I know that there are many many areas of parenting that I can improve on and Mothers day is sort of that day to set my new years resolutions and find those things. For the most part though I want to just enjoy the fact that I am a mom to a beautiful little boy....now, I am off to blow some bubbles with my son!
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Spoken by somone, whom I consider, to be among the top two mom's in the world! She is a pretty amazing wife too! ;)
wow that braught tears to my eyes. Your amazing and I think this post was meant for me to read. Thank you for sharing your thoughts I almost want to copy part of what you said and paste it on my blog. Thanks girl, I really needed that!
Post a Comment