Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Personal Progress-Divine Nature

In December I was called in church to serve with the young women ages 12-18. I am the first counselor in the presidency and work primarily with the Mia Maids ages 14-16. Part of our program includes the girls working towards what is called personal progress to receive a medallion of completion. The program consists of different reading, journals and projects to do to improve ourselves and bring us closer to God. As a leader we are encouraged to work on this as well. For this reason my post is about divine nature. I am supposed to write about some qualities in my journal and since this is my journal it will be recorded here. One of the scriptures I read form the Book of Mormon was Alma 7:23-24

23 And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive.
24 And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works.

I love this scripture especially now being a mother. I know that there are days when I certainly am not submissive, gentle patient and temperate. I also know though that it is at those times that I need to be the most humble and seek direction from Heavenly Father. I find that as I strive to have these qualities I am learning the things I can do to alleviate stress and difficulties. I am finding "what works" for me and realize it may be different from others. This scripture also guides us to ask for things and continually give thanks. I think at times we are really good at the asking but forget about the thankful part. As Zac and I have had our troubles having children it has been one of our biggest challenges. We will pray and request for this righteous desire of our hearts to be filled. It has once and that is a true miracle to us. Sometimes it is discouraging that the process is so hard for us when others seem to have it very simple. At these times of frustration I try to focus on how grateful I am for modern medicine. It is truly amazing that they have worked out a science to figure out the complexity of our bodies. It is so timed and monitored and fascinating that this is available to us. I think about back in the day and how I would have been cast out of society as barren and left alone. I do have so much to be grateful for. I know I can be better about monitoring and recognizing the many things I have to be grateful for. Once a week I will post my grateful list to help me obtain this goal. As I do this I hope it will help me have greater "faith, hope and charity" so that I may more fully do good for those around us.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Vanessa dear, I need your current address....you won one of my aprons. :)

fincherleslie@hotmail.com