Monday, January 14, 2008

Morning as Mr. Mum!



I realize that many of you read this blog, longing for the wisdom and reflection of one, Vanessa Anne Brodrick! Her thoughts on motherhood and service inspire the masses to proclaim her a Saint! (even though she is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that doesn't actually hold anyone in Sainthood) Alas, today, you will be sorely disappointed! As normally you would shed tears of joy at her kindness and love, today your tears will be ones of sadness and remorse! Many of you may even have the thoughts to send a monetary donation (which would be gladly accepted and our bank account number will be available upon request) or to rename your first born child (kinda weird, but again, who am I to tell people what to do!) Today, my friends, Vanessa has fallen ill! (There was much tears and cries of anguish from the readers!)

Yes, a question from the audience, "Uh, yah, if Vanessa is sick (may she be blessed with a thousand blessings) then who is writing her blog entry?!"

The answer to that question, my simplistic friend, began many years ago in a far away land where the laughter of little children can be heard in every home and where date night is every night! A place I like to call, BYU...

(The audience moves to the edge of their collective computer desk chairs, awaiting the love story to end all love stories...)

... but that story will hold for another day!

Suffice it to say that Zac, her slightly over-weight, under-haired, and odd companion for time and all eternity will be filling in for her today!

So, after that long intro, I will try and make this blog concise and informative. Keep in mind that this is my first blog and, depending on Vanessa's thoughts on my efforst, could be my last!

Seriously, Vanessa did start getting sick on Friday, but she fought through the coughs and sore throat over the weekend and went to Church and stuff because she lives for the weekend! (Sorry if anyone we came in contact with COUGH!PEWS!COUGH! is feeling under the weather at all) This morning, she woke up not feeling well at all, so I called my boss to see if I could take the day off! Being the good man that he (Des Harte) is, he said not to worry about coming in at all and to take care of things at home! Thanks Des!

So, my blog is about my morning as Mr. Mum! Like the good little patient she is, Vanessa followed my direction and stayed in bed while I got Noah up and ready for the day! Of course, Noah had 3 bowel movements within the first 4 hours of the day! (Kind of like little Hershey kisses... He has some issues that we are working through, I would post a picture but, well, I think there is a law out there about showing your kids bowel movements online...) I fed Noah his balanced breakfast of applesauce and 'vegetable medley' (yummmmm!) and we hung out for awhile talking about guy stuff. By the time his 9 am nap came around, we were laughing and slapping each others backs... just having a good ol' time! Normally, I can put him down for his naps fine, but, I must admit, he needed some 'Mummy time' and Vanessa got out of bed and helped me out!

We then took Vanessa to the Dr. for a quick check to make sure everything is ok (It was a free Dr visit! Not great quality, but it's free! Why not take her in?!) While she was in with the Nurse (4th time at the Dr, still have yet to see an actual Dr! Always a nurse! Did I mention it was free...?) we had a good time weighing ourselves and looking at old people! Man, we love old people! We then went back home to drop off Vanessa, and Noah and I hit the town! First, we went to the Petrol Station (Gas in American English) and then to the Supermarket and bought Vanessa some orange juice, (Tropicana, Florida OJ made from oranges grown... in Northern Africa... don't ask me?) sourdough bread to go with her Campbells Chicken Noodle soup brought from the US (thanks Meliss), a carbonated beverage for me, and some nice white Daisies (Happy Flowers)! We checked their 3 shelves of medicines for some cough drops and tylenol, but found neither... So, we drove the another 10 minutes to the Chemist (Pharmacy in American English) to find our drugs... plus some vitamin C tablets! We made it home about noon, just in time to fix Vanessa some of that soup I mentioned earlier and to hang out before Noah's next nap!

All and all, it was a nice morning with my favorite littl boy! We talked about life in the United States and how there is a Walgreens or CVS on every corner! We also talked a little about women and the mysteries that therein lie (I thought about having the talk with him, but thought I should save that for when he is a little older) I think both Noah and I missed Vanessa though! She is the marshmallow in our smore and we will be happy when she is feeling better... as I am sure the rest of you will be so that you don't have to read another epistle!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Zac! You are absolutely hilarious! WE miss you guys! So sorry Vanessa isn't feeling well, but so nice that you were able to stay home to take care of her and Noah. Loved reading your insights into life! And I really think you should have THE talk with Noah. It's probably a lot easier now than when he's a teenager! :-) Love you guys! (The Egberts)

Amanda said...

Yeah, thanks for getting us all sick! JK! It's worth it just for the card games.

You'd better have the talk with Noah soon. He needs to be well prepared if he's going to end up with Addilyn.

You guys are the best. Thanks for watching our kids, and even changing a poopy diaper. We're going to miss you guys when we all move home. Thank goodness for blogging and goodreads.

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

Bravo! This post made me crack up! Zac, you're quite the blog writer. We'll look forward to more posts from you!