Sunday, July 20, 2008

Terrible Mom


We took Noah to his one year dr. appointment. He weighed in at 20.7 lbs and 31 inches long. Unfortunatley he had only gained 3 oz. since his 9 month visit and has dropped three bars on the weight spectrum so the dr. said he was sub-optimal. I knew that he had been taperring off on nursing but figured he ate plenty of solids to compensate. Now after nursing him for a full year the dr. wants him on formula and high protein solids for the next three months. I feel like such a failure. My job is to nurture and provide for my child's wellness and here he is underweight. He takes the bottle fine but still doesn't drink the required 24-30 oz a day. He would just rather eat foods than drink so we are battling that. I never realized there would be so many concerns with being a mom.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Don't feel like you're a bad mom. 20 pounds at one year old is NOT underweight, and the I think the only reason he hasn't gained much weight is because he started to move a lot more in those last three months. I saw him eat while we were in Florida, he's definitely getting enough. It won't hurt to have him on formula, but I wouldn't stress about it at all. Neither Kimball nor Sammy were 20 pounds when they were one. Kimball was just under and gained less than a pound from 9 months to 1 year, and Sammy (the runt) I think was only 18 pounds at 1 year. Noah is just fine, and you are a great mom.

Anonymous said...

VANESSA MASON-
Oh my goodness you little boy is sooo beautiful. I am so excited for you and all that things that you and your husband have done. Girl, you are not a bad mom. I am always beating myself up and wondering what I'm not doing enough of. please check out our blog and I would love to stay in touch with you.
Susan Hackney (gainesville 4th ward)

Heather said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're a great mom. Noah looks healthy.

Erika said...

You are anything but a terrible mom. I know you both are awesome, amazing parents!