Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mothers day



Mothers day I was totally spoiled rotten. First, my son woke up t 6am and we convinced him to hand in our bed for a little bit. Then at 6:30 Zac took him out to the main house and I slept in until a luxurious 7:45! Pure bliss. When I woke up Zac made me a breakfast of froggy in a hole which I haven't had in forever and it was really good! He and Noah then presented me with my gifts of a photo album to store our large framed pictures that we hang as we rotate through them and the big one.......My new blog book that Zac published. This one covers the last year and a half and is about 220 pages long. I am so grateful for the time he put into and the sweet inscription he wrote. My blog books are my greatest materialistic treasures. It was a rushed morning too as we were WAY late to church which really never happens much. Little Elle blew out in her cute white dress so we needed a last ,minute wardrobe change. I therefore only scored this one mothers day photo. At church we had some lovely talks about mothering. One sister talked about the stripling warriors and that it is what we don't know about them that matters. We don't know the mom with the best homemade chocolate chip cookies or the one who has a full scrapbook of each child completely done. It is about the mother's faith and teaching that is shared in the scriptures. I liked that. We were given flower corsages and I got a paper flower one from Noah with a little paper that said " I love my mother because......."I give her flowers." I can see how this sentence was made by Noah which makes it all the more endearing. Noah "what's that?" teacher"flowers to give your mommy." Noah "oh." Teacher "why do you love your mommy?" Noah "I give her flowers." Too cute. We came home both kids napped and I got to snuggle my hubs on the couch which hasn't happened in forever! Then our family all came over for a yummy dinner of camel rider sandwiches and fruit provided by our men. Everyone stayed and visited and love those long evening chats. My sister gave my a copy of the Fancy Nancy book and said it was a must have for a mom of a girl. My parents gave me a beautiful lily plant. So there is all the happenings and now for the mushy stuff.


I love being a mom. I am not the mom I thought I would be but I think I have been blessed with children that I could never imagine to have. Noah has such a strong and vibrant personality and will take charge in this world. He is going to do amazing things! My sweet Ellie Bell has brightened my life. I thought I would be a mom of all boys and then while pregnant we had a YW new beginnings night and moms were introducing their daughters and I choked up and knew that I wanted that experience. We then later found out she was a girl and our lives have forever changed. She is so good and is free with her smiles. She has a special "hold" by everyone in our family and expects to be held that way by them.

Motherhood is my greatest miracle and I often forget that. It is by far the hardest, most exhausting thing I have ever done yet also the most rewarding. I have been so blessed by the examples of wonderful mothers in my life. I have many many friends that I have learned from as they lovingly teach and care for their children and mine. I have a mom that has taken on so much responsibility. She teaches school, cares for my dad with Parkinson's and for 2 years has had my sister's two children living with her as well. She amazes me with all that she balances and the true commitment this shows to our family. I have learned so much from her about love and patience. I also have an amazing mother-in-law. She has somehow raised 5 boys to be incredible young men. She has found the perfect balance between giving advice and letting us learn on our own. She makes an effort to attend every event for all of her children and grandchildren. I have learned from her the importance of mercy and understanding the needs of others.


How blessed my life really is. Mothers day has passed. My day of total laziness and self indulgence is gone and yes it will be missed. However, I hope as I clean up the 100th bathroom accident, pace with a crying 2 month old and attempt to keep a house of order I will remember to reflect on the really important things and all the joys that motherhood is!

No comments: