Monday, October 6, 2008

Miserable

We have been very fortunate these past 14 months and have had a very healthy baby. We knew it had to end at some point but it has hit our poor little guy hard. It all started last Wednesday when Noah slept it an extra 45 minutes...this never happens. He then took a 3 hour nap......this never happens. He also had 5 poopy diapers which fortunately....never happens. So I knew something was up. The next day we went to playgroup at the park and then to a friends house for lunch. Noah is so social and LOVES to interact with other kids but he was acting very needy and he felt warm. When we went home I took his temperature and it was 104.6! Kind of freaked us out a bit. We dosed him up with tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours as recommended by the on call nurse and then I took him in to to the doctor on Friday because his fever was still 103. He looked him over and saw nothing wrong and of course while in the office Noah was acting a little more chipper. By Saturday however he was a total wreck. He would have total meltdowns for an hour at a time and he wouldn't let Zac or I touch him. He would just lay on the floor writhing around. As this behavior continued and his temperature still stayed super high we made an appointment for Sunday afternoon at the emergency office for our pediatrician. That was until late afternoon so our entire day was spent driving around so Noah could actually sleep. He became really congested and couldn't breathe and wasn't eating. Finally we get him in and he has developed an ear infection. His first one ever:( he has a bad cold is sleep deprived and has a hurting ear also all while his molars are coming in. No wonder he's miserable. Zac and I totally lost it ( Ok, I more so than Zac) a few times and had a few melt downs of our own. It made us so sad that he wouldn't let us cuddle and care for him. He won't sleep on us or anything. We just felt so sad that he is hurting. He is still having melt downs today but did actually eat a banana which is progress. He went to sleep in the car and actually let me then lay him in his crib so maybe we are the downhill slope. All this time have been thinking how could I ever do this with other kids to care for???? How do people do it? I keep telling myself it's a few very hard days but then it will pass, but it feels like eternity. I just want him to feel better and back to himself or at least let me hug on him and comfort him. I never realized how heartbreaking it is to see your little one so upset and to feel so helpless. It has heightened my understanding of our Heavenly Father's love for us to sacrifice His son at such a painful cost. I know this is so minor compared to that great act but I can better understand that love now that I have Noah. I know I need to do so many things better in my life and I hope that I can find the motivation and inspiration to do so. Here's to improvements in health and progression in personal life!

5 comments:

Jill said...

It is so sad when they are sick. It just seems so unfair when they are so little and don't understand. Meltdowns are totally normal when you don't know what's wrong and you don't know what to do. Most of the time it's nothing serious but we think the worse, especially when they aren't sick that often. Just wait until he gets a stomach bug. That's when you feel really bad...for him, you, your furniture, your carpet, etc. :)

Kimberly said...

I can't believe he went so long without getting sick! Poor guy (poor Mom and Dad, too). I hope he starts to feel better soon. It is no fun to watch your child suffer.

Nathaly said...

It's so hard to see them in pain. You know it's bad when they won't even let you cuddle them. Usually my kids are extra clingy and want me to just hold them while they're sick. But when Diego had a stomach bug (when he was about Noah's age), he didn't want me to touch him. It was awful watching him try to get into a comfortable position, and cry from the pain. He wouldn't eat, which made me amazed at how much was still coming out the other end!

I hope Noah feels better soon and lets you give him lots of cuddles!

Shantel said...

Poor little guy. I hope he gets feeling better quick! You're such a sweet sensitive mom, and I'm sure when he's feeling better he'll be ready to make up for all those lost hugs he wasn't in the mood for.

The Cersey Family said...

Poor Noah. I hope that he is feeling better. He is lucky that he has got such a great Mommy to take care of him.